Condit secures interim welterweight title:Full Results for UFC 143
UFC 143 took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Centre and reportedly drew 10,040 attendees and a live gate of $2.3 million.
Bonuses were awarded to Stephen Thomson for “Knockout of the Night”, Dustin Poirier for “Submission of the Night” and the co-main event fighters Roy Nelson and Fabricio Werdum netted the “Fight of the Night” honours, all of them taking home an extra $65,000 for their efforts.
The main event was a bid for the interim welterweight title between former WEC champion Carlos Condit and former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz.
The fight was very close in the first round with both fighters taking time to feel each other out before trading blows and kicks in what seemed like a pretty even exchange.
The third round was where Condit began to make it his fight. Diaz stalked and taunted but Condit unaffected by the antics began to add knees and elbows to the mix, both fighters engaged some healthy blows but Condit appeared to have the edge.
As the fight entered the championship rounds Condit continued to change levels making it difficult for Diaz to corner him, when Diaz did get the clinch Condit fended off a single-leg takedown and retaliated with low kicks, body punches and head kicks. Condit also kneed Diaz after shaking off another takedown attempt.
In the fifth and final round Diaz charged forward knowing he needed the round but Condit remained elusive on his feet as Diaz seemed to be tiring. In the final minute however Diaz got a second wind and took the first takedown of the fight securing a body triangle on Condit and working for a choke. Condit remained composed and survived until the bell sounded to end the fight.
All three judges awarded the unanimous decision victory in favour of Condit.
In the co-main event Fabricio Werdum dominated Roy Nelson for the majority of the 15 minute fight. Most surprising was the fact that Werdum seemed tooutstrike Nelson showing a marked improvement of his muay-thai skills even unleashing huge knees that bloodied Nelson’s nose.
All three judges awarded the unanimous decision to Werdum and the UFC awarded both guys with “Fight of the Night”.
The Knockout of the Night came from the events opening fight between Stephen Thompson and Dan Stittgen. Thompson had alot of hype behind him entering the fight with a 56-0 kickboxing record and boy did he live up to the hype.
Official UFC 143 fight results included:
- Carlos Condit def. Nick Diaz via unanimous decision (48-47, 49-46, 49-46) – wins interim welterweight title
- Fabricio Werdum def. Roy Nelson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Josh Koscheck def. Mike Pierce via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Renan Barao def. Scott Jorgensen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ed Herman def. Clifford Starks via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:43
- Dustin Poirier def. Max Holloway via submission (mounted triangle-armbar) – Round 1, 3:23
- Edwin Figueroa def. Alex Caceres via split decision (28-27, 27-28, 28-27)
- Matt Brown def. Chris Cope via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 1:19
- Matt Riddle def. via Henry Martinez via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Rafael Natal def. Michael Kuiper via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Stephen Thompson def. Dan Stittgen via knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 4:13